Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11, 2011

I spent September 11, 2011 sitting at a baseball field, watching Matt play his first game since his surgery, and thinking about where I was 10 years ago.

September 11, 2001 started off as a usual school day.  

I had taken Matthew to school, Daniel to Parents Day Out, and had started my morning home routine.  I had gotten out of the habit of having the TV on in the mornings and 
the house was peaceful.  

It all changed with a phone call from my brother. 

I spent the day in front of the television - in shock, angry, sad, crying - wondering what to do.  Do I go pick up my children? Do I go give blood?  I couldn't move from the couch.  

I just sat there watching the images, crying, and praying.  

I went to the church for a prayer service at noon and then watched more coverage until time to pick up the boys.  Then the television stayed off until the boys were in bed.



I don't ever want to forget that day.  

I want to remember.  

I want to remember those who lost loved ones that day, 
those who ran in, and those who didn't come out.  

I want to remember those ordinary people who took 
extraordinary actions for the sake of others.  


I want to remember the American spirit, the humanity, and the turn to the only 
One that could provide hope and comfort and healing.

No, I do not ever want to forget that day, 
but I also want to look forward.  

Forward to a day when neighbor helps neighbor not because of a catastrophic event, but because they serve the One who gave the ultimate sacrifice for each one of us. 

Forward to a day when everyone has the opportunity 
to hear of the love of their Lord.  

Forward to a day when evil is destroyed once and for all.

Yes, let us never forget and let us always look forward and continue to show others the 
One that brings hope, peace, and love to all who know Him.


Living thru faith,
Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment