Thursday, August 25, 2011

Turn off the jets

For us "normal" is what we call "somewhat organized chaos".  We are constantly on the go.  My feet hit the floor in the morning and if I'm lucky I get to stop for a little bit about 9pm - in between switching out the washer and dryer - and get to work on paperwork or my blog or a menu...

Several years ago we owned a home with a whirlpool tub.  I hardly ever used it.  The previous owner did not take proper care of it and anytime I wanted to use it there was always a question if black gunk was going to come out of the jets.  No matter how many times we ran it, no matter how much we cleaned it out, if it sat for any length of time the black gunk would return.

I remember that it had been a really tough week and Brian worked hard getting a bath ready for me.  He even lit some candles and put my Enya CD in the player.  I spent the next few minutes just vegging and then started thinking about the craziness that had been going on.

As I looked at all the bubbles being formed by the air blowing through the jets, I realized it was all the "bubbles" in my life that was filling my life with chaos. How the bubbles "bubbled" and the intensity of the bubbles were not necessarily in my control, but I had to function in the midst of all chaos.


Right beside the tub I had placed a card with Psalm 22:2 written on it.   "...He leads me beside still waters." 


As I am sitting in the middle of all these bubbles, I suddenly knew what God was trying to tell me.  I reached up and pushed the button - the button that turned off the bubbles.  Immediately,  the waters were calm and the jets were quiet.  I hadn't noticed the noise surrounding me because I was focusing on the bubbles.



Matthew 8:23-27 tells us how Jesus calmed the storm - "then He stood up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly all was calm."

Rather than focusing on the chaos, we have to keep our focus in Jesus.  We have to be still, we have to turn off the jets for a little while, we have to let Jesus calm the waters. 


Living thru faith,
Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment