Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Pretty Good Supper, If I Do Say So Myself

Last night I tried some new things and it turned out pretty good.

I had a small package of stew meat I bought on sale.  It was just enough for the four of us. Sarah and I had watched The Pioneer Woman's cooking show from this past Saturday which gave me the idea of cooking the stew meat in the skillet.  It wasn't tender like if I had slow cooked it, but it was bite sized and was actually rather tasty.  I even made some homemade gravy!  I figured they could either have the gravy or steak sauce and we would do biscuits and gravy another night.

I had 2 zucchini that I needed to use quickly.  I knew it wouldn't be a big hit with the kids, but I decided to try this stuffed zucchini recipe I found on Pinterest.



I have to say it was so easy!  Daniel and I were the only two that liked it, but that didn't really surprise me.  I think I will have to try this one 
again once Brian is back.

I also had a huge bag of potatoes I needed to start using up.  We had mashed potatoes recently, so I decided to do oven roasted potatoes.  I cut up several potatoes and tossed them with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and onion powder.  I placed some small pieces of butter on top, covered it foil, and cooked them for about 30 or 45 minutes.  They were wonderful!

Matt, of course, had to have some bread.  I had just found some at Walmart on their "oops, we baked too much" rack, so I threw those in the oven while I finished getting everything together.

The meat was less than $4.  The entire bag of potatoes was about $3, so it was just pennies for the amount I used.  The zucchini was less than $2 and less than $1 for the bread.  All in all, it was a fairly inexpensive yummy meal.  In the end, I tried some new things and everyone's tummies were full and happy!

Living thru faith,
Misty


No comments:

Post a Comment