Monday, June 25, 2012

The Back Fence

We knew when we bought the house that the back fence had been damaged over time by termites and would eventually need to come down. We also knew that we couldn't afford to put up a new fence, so we just left it up.  

One day while Brian and I were sitting out enjoying the shade from our new umbrella, I got the idea to just take it down and fill in the areas with tall plants to provide some privacy.  There is actually a wire fence on the other side of the wooden one that lines our neighbor's long driveway.  Growing in between the two fences were trees and weeds.  

Brian wasn't sold on the idea, but the more I thought about it the more I liked it.  So...he left town and down it came. :-)

I sent the boys outside and about 3 minutes later half of it was on the ground.  

It took a little bit longer for the other half to fall, but in about 15 minutes everything but the posts were on the ground.

As we tried to take some of the larger sections apart to stack, Matt and I suddenly heard buzzing coming from inside the wood.  

Turns out we had carpenters bees burrowed into the fence AND the posts.  It was just a matter of time before this thing would have just fallen down on it's own!

Slowly but surely I am getting all the weeds cleared out and the trees trimmed up.  The posts are proving to be harder to get out than anticipated, but we will win that battle...eventually.  I usually only have about 30 minutes or so later in the evenings to work on it, so it is definitely a slow process.

My plan is to get it cleaned up and mark out the new line, then, in the fall, lay out mulch and possibly some bushes when they go on sale.  In the spring we can till up the new bed area and add whatever plants we decide on.  I don't know if that is the way you are really supposed to do it, but it makes sense to me.  If someone has a better plan, let me know!  :-)

Living thru faith,

No comments:

Post a Comment