Monday, April 16, 2012

Yummy Breakfast

I actually made breakfast Saturday morning!  
For those that know me well, they know I don't do breakfast.  
Matt would love a big breakfast every morning, but he was born into the wrong family for that!

Not only did I make breakfast, but I actually prepared the pancake batter on Friday!  I know!  It's a miracle!  

I mixed up the batter Friday afternoon and left it in the fridge.  It made cleanup so much easier on Saturday morning. The recipe I use is simple and really doesn't take much more time than a store bought mix, but much cheaper!  I also make my mom's homemade syrup when we have pancakes.  It costs less than the store bought and we like it better.



Along with the pancakes, we had bacon.  Yummy bacon!  I don't buy bacon much anymore because it has gotten so expensive.  It seems to have come down a little bit, so I decided to splurge this month.  

I didn't want to deal with a mess, so I decided to cook the bacon in the oven.  I've done this once before and we loved it!  The only draw back is that it does take longer.  But it is so worth it!  It comes out crispy and with more flavor than pan frying.   A broiler pan works great.  I didn't have one so I used a roasting pan.  Just line with aluminum foil, insert the rake and add the bacon.  If you do not have some kind of rack to put in the pan, you can lay the bacon straight on the aluminum foil.  The only thing with that is the bacon will end up laying in the grease, so you probably wouldn't want 
to make several batches.


Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  For my oven, it worked best to cook it for 10 minutes, turn the pieces over, 
and then cook another 10-12 minutes.

 Yummo!!

Here is the pancake and syrup recipes for anyone who might want them.  I've had the pancake recipe for so long, I really have no idea where I go it from.  The recipe was titled "The Best Pancakes" and definitely lives up to the title!

The Best Pancakes
 
4 tbsp. oil
2 eggs
2 c. + 2 tbsp. milk, divided
2 c. all purpose flour
4 tbsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

In large bowl, beat together oil, egg, and 2 c. milk.  Next sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients, blending well with wire whisk.  Stir in 2 tbsp. milk.  Cook on lightly oiled hot griddle.

Maple Syrup

1/2 c. water
1 c. sugar
approx. 1/4 tsp maple flavoring

Bring water to boil, add sugar.  Stir until clear.  Bring to a rolling boil.  Reduce heat & let it boil for a couple of minutes.  Remove from heat.  Add flavoring and stir.  Let sit about 5 minutes. (I usually double this so that we have enough for the leftover pancakes.) 

I hope you enjoy a great breakfast!

Living thru faith,
Misty

No comments:

Post a Comment